Wednesday, November 5, 2008

faux eclecticism

At the end of yesterday I was impressed with the social gamut I managed to cover in a mere 12 hours- but then, as my hand was in the process of reaching for my back in pursuit of a firm well-deserved pat - I put my feet back on the ground and realized this spectrum of avocations I felt so inclined to be proud of, were meagerly deserved at best.

pothead: went to a head shop - spent an hour in a heady discussion with the store clerk on the pros and cons of bubblers, bowls, vaporizers and the different strata of pothead that utilizes such paraphernalia. Then purchased a bubbler for a friend's birthday.

meathead: proceeded to GNC - spent some time talking with the store clerk on the pros and cons of various protein and energy supplements, talked extensively about cycling and lifting. Then I purchased a protein blend I'm just okay on, since my standard was not in stock.

political enthusiast: voted - spoke to no one, purchased nothing, received a coupon for a free coffee at my local bakery. felt particularly empowered and proud for being a good American. went to a party celebrating the election.

altruist to the homeless: while passing a gaunt aged man on the street, huddled in an alcove, was asked for any spare change. I paused to give him every last coin I could procure out of my purse (a 3 minute search at best) - and also I gave him a clove for good measure.

scientist: went to lab - Discussed at length the pros and cons of various substrates employed im my (desperate) desire to make things work. Purchased HPTS (8-hydroxypyrene-1,3,6-trisulfonic acid), a pH dependent flourophore for my very own pet project that I am building from the ground up.

The punch line:

pothead: I don't smoke pot, haven't purchased a piece in ages, tried my best to regurgitate phrases I haven't used in years.

meathead: I know a limited amount of anything dealing with supplements, but this guy seemed impressed I was aware of the basics so our conversation was mostly over my head. I tried my best to regurgitate phrases I may or may not have heard other exercise savvy friends toss about.

political enthusiast: I voted. the end. I normally hate politics and avoid them thusly, this year was an obvious exception. after 3 hours of sleep that coffee saved my life.

altruist to the homeless:I never give bums money, donating to shelters maybe, rarely will I give hobos a sideways glance. But, seeing as I veritably lied my ass off to some kind old attendant when parking in a lot - where UNC affiliates are absolutely not allowed to park - I needed karma on my side. I left the lot ticket free.

scientist: who has two thumbs and knows her lab shit? this girl right here.

No comments: